Welcome to Greenock
About Inverclyde and Greenock
- Situated on the River Clyde, and 26 miles from Glasgow, Greenock has a population of 42,000.
- It is the main town in Inverclyde and was the birth place of the engineer and inventor James Watt
- It is well served by public transport and is within an easy driving distance from both Glasgow International Airport and Prestwick Airport.
- Greenock's past industries included shipbuilding and cane sugar refining and electronics
- The area is now home to call centres and to a major web based retail distribution centre
- Greenock Ocean Terminal is a major container port and an important destination for cruise liners.
- The Tall Ships event site will be within the James Watt Dock and Inchgreen, between Port Glasgow and Greenock and is close to bus and rail services.